Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thoughts on the US Bailout

I was crunching some numbers last night regarding the massive Wall Street bailout being suggested by Treasury Secretary Paulson. The suggestion is for Paulson to have discression to use a rolling $700 Billion to purchase bad (read toxic) commercial paper.

Some quick work on the calculator leaves me with this thought:

$700 Billion could buy 100,000,000 American citizens a $700,000 home. That's One Hundred Million Americans who could have their mortgage paid for (mostly) free and clear.

As for me, this Canadian would love to get even 0.000000001% of that bailout. Maybe I can claim to be a foreign bank with my own toxic paper to dump--apparently non-US institutions would qualify for the bailout too.

Which is only fair I guess, since Obama's suggested foreign banks help bail out the US economy.

Me, I could use $700,000 free and clear.

Sean

No comments: